logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porting new features on linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redils

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 13:11    Post subject: Porting new features on linux Reply with quote

I saw that "papillon" released nwnx_odbc2, with an object storage engine. I'd like to know if these features will be available on the linux version. If possible, can you communicate me a release date ? In any case, thank you for the work achieved so far,

Redils.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still seeking for a volunteer. Neither Jeroen nor do I have enough time to maintain all this stuff for two operating systems at the same time.
redils

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently studying your code. Perhaps I could help. I'm looking for more documentation concerning the way Object struct are stored into memory. Then, I'll try making a stable version with the new features (including postgresql support). I'm happy to point out that the postgresql patch seems to work fine (on a bi-proc with 4 servers, and PW 60+ players), perhaps it could be a good idea to include it into the current linux version. Thx.
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:39    Post subject: links on info for porting? Reply with quote

Does anyone have or know any links for information on how to port win32 apps to linux? Any information would be helpful. Pap what app do you use to run and make the .dll and .exe files?
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porting the c++ code to Linux is trivial, since e.g. the mysql code is the same on both platforms and nwserver stems from the same code base as well. The difficult task is to find the signature of the functions to hook and get the assembler stuff right. But with the windows version to look at, it should not be too difficult to port it. I would say 1-2 days of work.
JeroenB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a windows simulation under Window? This would greatly simplify the porting Smile. The speech and vaulster plugins I wrote where easily converted to Linux as coding is exactly the same (you might need to install some extra libraries and such).

'asm' that is another story with which i am currently not so very comfortable Smile
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 22:13    Post subject: windows simulation. Reply with quote

Yes i can open it with wine and examine the files. but ive never tried to do anything like this b4 (kinda like this whole project lol). I have every library avialable on suse site now. I will look at it. I doubt my ability to finish it. but I am always willing to try anything once(ok maybe twice). I was trying to look at the final .exe in windows but wasnt shure what program Pap recomends to do that with? googled and found about 200 that claim thier the best at it. lol but thought i could ask, and cut thru the trial and error part of that. well thanks and ill try to see what i can do. P.S. I am a compleat self tought amature at programming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: