logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HORSES,ETC... 1.69 additions..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jec2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkySwerve wrote:
No, caching scripts will only hurt. Since bioware added improved automatic caching many updates back (1.65), the caching option in the toolset will only eat up your available memory. Never, ever, ever cache scripts.

Some linkage:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=584380&forum=47&highlight=caching

And if you don't want to take my word for it, here's Georg Zeoller saying it:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=488179&forum=47&sp=15

Funky

isn't cache adjustable .. cant you find a good ground...? forgive me, but your taking alot of old posts like it was god to your ear.. idk.. maybe your right.. but everyone seems afraid to try this.. to make it work. if I'm wrong.. please say so.. please tell me horses are dead.. no way in hell.. i want to hear that.. i really do..lol

i bet you a few years back, if someone told you nwserver couldn't be adjusted, you might have thought the same..but there is nwnx, and plugs.. just saying..
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everythings possible.

Maybe if someone make new animation set like those in ACP in way that only upper part of body would moved and tail model looks like horse? I don't know.

Horses are usable for singleplayer modules so perhaps thats why bioware added them. For MP its a big pain, BUT in my country, every PW uses them. It lags but players want it so much that they are able to accept it.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkySwerve wrote:
No, caching scripts will only hurt. Since bioware added improved automatic caching many updates back (1.65), the caching option in the toolset will only eat up your available memory. Never, ever, ever cache scripts.

Some linkage:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=584380&forum=47&highlight=caching

Funky

FunkySwerve @ BioBoards wrote:

At all?!? I can just remove them? Woot! How on earth did I miss that little change?
Thanks,
Funky

Ditto!

But still adding the 'null-horse' in each area (to pre-load animations as it were) is an option.

As to the client-lag on client connect, that's in the x3 scripts. There are 5 seconds of delays coded into the OnClientEnter routines. (That's over and above just running the scripts.)
jec2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
FunkySwerve wrote:

Some linkage:

Funky

FunkySwerve @ BioBoards wrote:

At all?!? I can just remove them? Woot! How on earth did I miss that little change?
Thanks,
Funky

Ditto!

But still adding the 'null-horse' in each area (to pre-load animations as it were) is an option.

As to the client-lag on client connect, that's in the x3 scripts. There are 5 seconds of delays coded into the OnClientEnter routines. (That's over and above just running the scripts.)

obviously, no isn't the final word on this.. there has to be a way.. like i said, we almost had it working.. just by adding nulltail to the override , it worked without lag, until pvp.. then others claimed they died from being near the horse, got lag and died.. but i think there are enough ideas here to start a plug enhancement.. i mean really, its worth a try..
acaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horse lag is on the client side, not the server. You can try to ameliorate it by forcing players to load the model, whether with a null tail or by having horses in every area, but you cannot eliminate the problem entirely, because it's not server-side.

If you want low-lag horses, you will need to make low-poly horse models with simple animations. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Acaos
jec2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

acaos wrote:
Horse lag is on the client side, not the server. You can try to ameliorate it by forcing players to load the model, whether with a null tail or by having horses in every area, but you cannot eliminate the problem entirely, because it's not server-side.

If you want low-lag horses, you will need to make low-poly horse models with simple animations. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Acaos

What if you use both nulltail and you load a horse in every area ? Has anyone tried that?? lol... Well, i guess thats a consensus.. and i guess there is no plugin that can help it.. Now all i have to do is wait 10 years for players PC's to be fast enough to add horses.. Shocked Why would bioware do this, is it just a tease? some kinda gimmick meant to promote stand-alone premium modules.. ?? sorry if i offended anyone , but its just so frustrating!.. Rolling Eyes
acaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did it because they wanted to offer more content and options to the community for free. Yes, horses are not suitable for PvP worlds for a variety of reasons. For RP worlds and single-player modules, they are a huge benefit.

You can try nulltail and adding horses to every area, but that still won't be a cure-all, and has the issue of shoving other animations out of the cache.

Acaos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: