logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start NWN x^2 without being at the computer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonWR12LB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 20:53    Post subject: Start NWN x^2 without being at the computer? Reply with quote

Simple question, how can I start nwn x^2 without having to login to windows, and double click my nwnx^2 shortcut?

One would think that a service would be adequate (sp?). I installed the program as a service using the "Windows Resource Kit Tools" from the miscrosoft site. It added nwnx^2 and several other files to my regirsty. When I open "services.msc" I can clearly see the service. However, when I restart my computer or start the service manually it fails from a Error 1053 time out.

I looked into the error on the microsoft forums and found This knowledge base post.
However, I apparently have a newer version then what the knowledge base listed. And they give no other insight on how to resolve the issue. Somewhere hidden away in the Advapi32.dll is a 30 second timer that issues a timeout if it goes longer.

So I thought, maybe I shouldn't load such a large module. I then change the nwnx.ini to start an empty module. From desktop this takes about 8 seconds to do until you have a loaded and interactive GUI. So I try to start the service, and I'm still getting time out.

What I'm wondering, is there another way I can start my nwnserver with nwnx^2 without having to start it from desktop? I'm running Server 2003 so putting it in the Startup folder isn't good enough because I still have to manually log in before the programs are started in that folder.

Sad

virusman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNX2 doesn't support service mode yet.
DragonWR12LB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then in the case of a powerfailure... all nwnx^2 servers require a human to login on the box, double click the icon?

The soultion doesn't have to be a service...it's just an idea I had that doesn't work.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the shortcut to the Startup folder.
--on a reboot, it will auto run the shortcut.
DragonWR12LB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:

Problem is, the start up folder isn't run until you go to desktop. Which requires that someone login with a username and password into windows.
DragonWR12LB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that idea works, I just had to enable automatic logging with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324737

The only down side is, I can't remotely change settings on the server but that's not that big of a deal. Hope NWNx^2 will support service mode soon! Thanks!
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonWR12LB wrote:
Gryphyn wrote:

Problem is, the start up folder isn't run until you go to desktop. Which requires that someone login with a username and password into windows.

Add it to the 'all users' folder, rather than 'current user'

I just thought it was an easier option to explain, rather than adding the 'startup' in the registry - which basically does the same thing Wink

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
--add a new command-line here (the 'target' of the short-cut)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: