logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Processor Queston.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
futts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 20:33    Post subject: Processor Queston. Reply with quote

Hello,

I wanted to inquire into the Processor of the machine that will be hosting the server. I will be using a gutted PC. I was wondering what sort of Processor would be best, because I have heard talk that Dual Core and the like are better when the server itself and the database are split.

In your experience, does it really matter or would a regular Pentium do the job just fine? I'm looking for something in the Intel line, but if you have good experience with AMD please give your input about that. Thank you.
william_hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hosted with dual core, single core pentium and AMD, and so far, to my experience, the dual core machine (PD 925) has been the best, by far, of the group. I have had a few small issues with the database, but i suspect that performance is not affected by the database being on the same box as the server process.
futts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!!! Razz

I have the choice between a cheaper duo core or a same price 3.0ghz+ Pentium 4 with a few more benefits to it, such as more RAM. I'm just not sure which to get.

Any advice on NIC, too? Shocked
william_hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one place I have had issues. Make sure you don't skimp on the NIC. Thats the one spot you are likely to get lag, because if your connection to the internet is poor, you have laggy hosting. I use reputable cards in all my machines, not the $9 specials from newegg. Look through the reviews on newegg.com and tigerdirect.com to give you some insight on that one.
futts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think? Would it be better to get a lower-end Duo Core 2 or something else such as a 3.0+ gHZ Pentium 4?
william_hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a low end core 2 is going to beat the P4, but I wouldn't forget the pentium D class processors. They beat the P4 but you can get a PD 925 from anywhere for about $60 at most right now as they are selling them off. Make sure you get the largest cache available if you go that way.
Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I can tell you that I spent the extra $$$ on a 1GB NIC that has its own CPU to off-load the processing and man is my server fast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: