logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crazy Idea: Client NWNX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blacksting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 21:59    Post subject: Crazy Idea: Client NWNX Reply with quote

For a while now I have been wondering if NWNX would have any problems hooking the client. Obviously SQL plugins on the client side are not really worth it but the Resource Manager plugin on the client side could do away with haks if done right. A database repository of portraits could be used (for those not worried about bandwidth) to keep a clients portrait folder updated with a click of a button. NWNX Client could launch an unobtrusive shell and have an ini that could have a list of favored servers with an attributed Resource Folder. With some kind of communication going it might also be possible to modify PCs without booting them. If I was inclined to think about it further I am sure many more client side functions could be useful.
Primogenitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was possible to do a NWNX version that worked with SP games, then that would be useful. For one thing, the PRC could use it to run letoscript on a character, as well as using SQL lookups instead of having to use 2da access for data.
terminalinsanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few linux apps that hook the nwn client, and do things such as combat logging, but i think it's prety obvious why there should never be a nwnx for the client...
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, it would be possible. Practically.. why bother ? People should not be forced to install something on their machine just to play a module. Single player modules should use the Bioware DB, since SQL is a bit overpowered in that environment.
SHoward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Like I don't have enough summer time hacking whankers on my sever now. Smile

terminalinsanity wrote:
There are a few linux apps that hook the nwn client, and do things such as combat logging, but i think it's prety obvious why there should never be a nwnx for the client...
chaoslink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. I've been thinking about this for some time on my own to provide automatic downloading of resources. I've been trying to work on an HTTP resource parasite for the server (provide in game resources over HTTP) - it shouldn't be too difficult to hook the client to use this once it exists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: