logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blocking all contacts between players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpgbl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:30    Post subject: blocking all contacts between players Reply with quote

hi guys,

im wondering if it is possible to make one player cannot talk or interactive in whatever way with other players? Im using NWNX as the server.
virusman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can block chat messages with NWNX Chat, make them invisible to each other with NWNX Visibility.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 21:16    Post subject: but only on linux for visibility :-( Reply with quote

But only on Linux for visibility Sad (cries)
rpgbl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

arghh linux only Sad( but I think these functions are very interesting and useful (at least for me)

Btw if I use this nwnx visibility, what is going to happen to all the spawns ??

for example, player one is fighting some creatures, what will player two see? is player 2 see creatures fighting against something invisible ?

also what is the implication for npcs with conversation ? when player one is having a conversation with an npc, can player two start a new conversation with the npc ?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visibilty plugin just blocks the visibility event for players, allowing ingame script to determine if one player should b visible to another. It won't affect npcs. Enemies will likely be seen attacking nothing, but combat info will either say 'npcs attacked someone' or their name. The chat plugin works, so u can at least block communication.
virusman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can create multiple area instances with NWNX Areas (i.e. one per player).
Baaleos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although on windows this has a bug.
rpgbl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
Also, you can create multiple area instances with NWNX Areas (i.e. one per player).

Virusman, that is exactly what Im looking for.

Im a student and I've developed a mod which intended for single player. The mod is for educational purposes (teach SQL). At the moment I need to run an evaluation and it requires many respondents but since this mod is for single player, I can only evaluate one person at a time. It would be very helpful if I can run the evaluation to many people at the same time with the condition each players cant meet and communicate each other.

Do you have any suggestion in this matter ? I've been looking around but can find any solution for this. Thank you.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this via nwnx_areas in my PW.

Players join and appear in the Starting area.
If the player has NOT completed the tutorial, a tutorial Zone is generated specifically for them, and they are teleported inside it.

When they complete the tutorial, they are then able to leave the tutorial, and the area is removed, as it is no longer needed.

In your case, you could use a Local Int value for your players, to allow the chat plugin to know if they are in a solitary area or not.

EG - If inside an area where they should be quiet, then block their chat message,
otherwise
Allow their message.
rpgbl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Baaleos,

Can I use NWNX_Areas with mysql in nwnx4? I've never tried to combine some plugins together so please excuse my question Smile
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im unsure if areas plugin is available for NWNX4, if it is, then it came out without my knowledge. I hardly play nwn2 anyway.

Can you confirm if it is Neverwinter Nights 2, or Neverwinter Nights 1, you are referring to.

If it is NWN1 then NWNX2 is what you need to use.
if it is NWN2 then NWNX4 is what you need to use.

Areas Plugin and Database (odbc) can be used together but only as far as scripting goes. And only in nwnx2 as far as I know.... assuming it is the only platform that areas is available.

Eg - Script the system to create new areas, and then track the creation of these areas via database, and on resets of the server, recreate these onMod Load, to simulate their continuous existance.

If you are hoping for this to be available on NWN2 I wouldnt hold your breath, as areas plugin works the way it does, and is enabled to do so, by the way that nwn areas are created and stored.

They may not be stored in this same manner in NWN2, infact, from what I remember of the loading times of the areas, they would likely be too complex to be duplicated, since the areas use actual 3d molded areas created with brushes opposed to tiles.
rpgbl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Baaleos,

Im using NWN2 and NWNX4. Any further suggestion? Thanks Smile
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know,
nwnx_areas does not exist for nwn2 yet.

I believe there is a nwnx_chat plugin for it, I think.....
if there is, this is the closest u can get to blocking communication between players.
virusman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest NWN2 patch added some function that creates a new area. Check the release notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Scripts and Modules All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: