logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to update game? Atari took down files for updater?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenExarch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 21:48    Post subject: How to update game? Atari took down files for updater? Reply with quote

It has been brought to my attention that it is extremely inadvisable to uninstall the NWN2 game for any reason as Atari supposedly took down the files it looks for to auto-update your game upon a new or fresh install. The Vault has files but there are so many I've had many players PM me telling me they cant either get it to work, or its so long and frustrating they literally give up. I personally tried it once, and gave up.

So the Question is now, has anyone heard of an alternative way to patch the game now? If you re-install your game or buy a copy off of ebay and want to update and join the multiplayer community how can they do that?

We need to find an alternative source for this for players who wish to join the community and play on any of the multiplayer servers. Any ideas? If we want to keep the NWN2 community alive this is something we need to find out in my humble opinion.
http://rigilia.com/forum/
Lokey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's awful for nwn1 as well, and that has cumulative roll-up patches. Obviously the fault lies with atari that has been offering platinum/diamond/whatever versions for years with different bugs in each. They've really been abandonware for a long time anyway.
Skywing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the Steam edition of NWN2 comes with all expansions and all patches pre-installed. Most new customers seem likely to come from Steam at this point anyway.
FallenExarch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm, I guess you did not know, that earlier this year Steam stopped selling NWN2 all together? Steam is no longer an option any more. They actually stopped selling and offering NWN2 months ago because of the new Neverwinter game and the company whos doing it trying to shut down all other previous versions of neverwinter to be able to control the rights to the name. Those who bought the game can still play it and use it but they wont sell NWN2 any longer. We need to have a way for people to update their copies of NWN2 if they have them, because once they uninstall the game they cant update it any more once they re-install it because gamespy and atari took down their support and the auto-updater does not work any longer. If we dont find a way for players to update their games, we WILL loose players and thats a fact. This is a serious problem for our NWN2 community as without it ...... we will continue to loose player, because once they uninstall their game for any reason what so ever, upon reinstallation, they cant get back to the servers they loved playing on any more. Example ... Firestar001 is one of our players on our server and Haven, and can no longer play nwn2, because they needed to re-install the game. They are now desperately trying to find a way to update their game and cant so far and as a result cant play at all any more now. and steam stopped selling NWN2 earlier this year so cant buy one there.

So if you or any of your friends have any ideas of developeing an update program to update the games of those few who have it when and IF they need to reinstall the game ......... I strongly suggest someone consider it
FallenExarch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep just logged into steam, only thing there is a couple of trailers and NWN2 is no longer sold by steam. so steam is no longer an available option. looks like we need to find a way for existing box game owners to be able to update their games, or once they uninstall it, or try and install it onto a new laptop or computer, they can no longer update their game like Firestar001.
Skywing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran through the following scenarios:

- Patch from NWN2 RTM (from DVD) to 1765
- Patch from NWN2 + MotB + SoZ (from DVD) to 1765

Both worked fine using the autoupdater.
FallenExarch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thats great, I hope it continues to work

thats weird because Firestar001 and myself both tried the autoupdater and it failed both times

but thanks for checking skywing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: