logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX_Connect port - done!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 21:37    Post subject: NWNX_Connect port - done! Reply with quote

This is a windows port of NWNX_Connect plugin by virusman for linux platform. It does exactly that and nothing else. Please report any issues here with as much details as possible, plugin creates log file as usual.

Just to be clear, this doesn't work without client plugin. You need to use NWNCX to get it working.

DOWNLOAD: nwnx_connect.dll
SOURCE: source: github - note: outdated

It seems to work fine, it makes a little lag spike when client connecting to your server but thats client-side issue and not a problem of this plugin.

Unlike Terra777's version this plugin missing the ini hak specifying feature as I've found out that with this plugin client doesn't load haks after that (or rather does that but they are not reloaded into client's memory). Also the lag spikes were exactly the same (at least for my module - CEP1+around 300mb custom haks).

Last edited by ShaDoOoW on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:08; edited 6 times in total
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have your sources posted anywhere? I could take a look at it.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

addicted2rpg wrote:
Do you have your sources posted anywhere? I could take a look at it.
im not familiar with SVN much, so I post you a zip, take a look

my work is based on a Terra's nwnx cool an virusman's linux nwnx_connect.

Functions looks the same, all I miss is the CExoString array and it compiles. If it will work is different issue however, but it should I dont see any linux/windows inconsistency.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I dropped it down for a few days hoping I get some help from addicted2rpg. After this pause and no help I tried it again and now I managed to get it working without problem. I don't know what was problem before omg, but nevermind its here. I updated first post. Please moderators to delete all these three posts below first to avoid confusion. It is now fully complete and working.
The Amethyst Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this out, and it worked for me.

I did, however, remove it since it really slowed down the display of a player's character list and added a long pause before initial area loadscreen started. Probably because I use a large list of haks (CEP + Project Q + 10 of my own custom haks). It happened for every login, so it was just too much of an inconvenience for the (admitted nice) feature.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this is happening on linux version, but I assume it does.

It would be possible to change the hak list sent to the player not by the module hak list but per list in NWNX.ini instead.

That way, builder could specify that for example CEP and Q haks are not needed to preload which should spare quite a lot time. Preloading simply a top hak only could not always be enough.

BTW - isn't the black screen after hitting play in character menu a standard feature of CEP2? At least it did that for me. Afaik thats is the time when are haks loaded normally. So maybe it does somehow also interact with the fact that the haks are loaded already or something, but shouldn't. Might be a good idea to remove this step if it has been already done in character screen, but I am not able to do that because I do not have client symbols. I simply ported already existing work from virusman. So thats up to him. But I can handle the ini preloading if you think it would help.
The Amethyst Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW wrote:
It would be possible to change the hak list sent to the player not by the module hak list but per list in NWNX.ini instead.

That way, builder could specify that for example CEP and Q haks are not needed to preload which should spare quite a lot time. Preloading simply a top hak only could not always be enough.
If you can get that functionality in, I'll test it again. I'd only need to preload one or two haks and a tlk file in that case.

ShaDoOoW wrote:
BTW - isn't the black screen after hitting play in character menu a standard feature of CEP2?
I haven't had this problem with normal hak loading myself.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 1.3 released.

Changelog:
- windows 7 compatibility, Windows server 2008, windows 8/neither 64bit versions weren't tested yet but should work too
- fixed hak list, originally contained empty strings (no visible performance gain but its cleaner now Smile )

Download and source in first post updated.
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:
I tried this out, and it worked for me.

I did, however, remove it since it really slowed down the display of a player's character list and added a long pause before initial area loadscreen started. Probably because I use a large list of haks (CEP + Project Q + 10 of my own custom haks). It happened for every login, so it was just too much of an inconvenience for the (admitted nice) feature.
It might be possible to fix that on NWNCX side by moving hak preloading to character creation screen instead of loading them on every login.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of a good test mod/hakset to cover the expected variety of cases for this plugin? I think my sources are outdated to Shadoow's copy and I think he is on hiatus or something.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell off the map and forgot about this, lol.

All sources are up to date at the git repository, as well as binaries (kind of an abuse of github, hehe).

I was thinking of including some documentation to my distribution, are there any docs already out there that define the NWNCX / NWNX relationship with the Connect plugin?

User-end docs preferred; they do not need to be technical documents (although I won't say no to either).
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
It might be possible to fix that on NWNCX side by moving hak preloading to character creation screen instead of loading them on every login.
I tried to load haks elsewhere and it didn't fixed the lag, anyway that lag isn't that bad (at least not for me with custom haks without CEP2 though I suspect it takes just the same regardless of hak size) and it fixes the crashing issue that often happens when characters having custom classes, which loading only in char creation would skipped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: