logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Request] Stripping the CD-KEY checks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChassOfIsandor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:11    Post subject: [Request] Stripping the CD-KEY checks Reply with quote

I love NWN2. as well as NWN1. but I would hate to see this great game fade off into the background. Since the playerbase is dwindling on both NWN1 and NWN2 it would be great if a lot of of behind LANS and such could use various CD-Keys or generate our own somehow.

As a heavy scripter in the NWN1/2 scene. I think there could be ways around cheating via creating millions of public keys on a single account to get around bans. . such as creating a special plugin with a modified version of the master server authenticator that the plugin and the master server talks to.

I know I saw a github listing for this:
https://github.com/niv/nwn-masterserver

but not too keen on compiling and getting it to work correctly.

any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you want to remove the DRM portion of NWN2 and replace it with your own.

I'd be cautious about this- as it seems like the sort of thing that would be illegal, and obviously no one here is going to tell you how to crack the game so it doesn't require cd keys.

There are many ways to create more robust security validations in a PW.
Eg: use a MySQL server, the player name gets linked to a cd key, and you then have the choice of banning player and/or cd key- that doesn't prevent them from making a new cd key or a new player name, but you could also take it a step further as I have done in my PW- and linked player accounts to forum accounts.
Forum accounts are then linked to Facebook- and it's less likely for a person to have 3-4 fake face books.

If your heart is set on the creation of cd keys-
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/11012/License-Key-Generation

In C# the class you might get best use out of is the GuID class, simply take the x digit long alpha-numerical string it gives and modify as needed to fit your license key rule set-
Then insert them into a database of VALID cd keys, and distribute them as needed.
You could create an ingame cd key entry screen where the players enter your license key, if they don't get a valid key, they don't get to play.

I think if you continue down the avenue of attempting to or even researching tampering with Bioware/Obsidians code that validates cd keys in the application you run the risk of breaching terms and conditions.
Arguably both games are ancient and probably no one would care that much- but if the same effect can be achieved without modifications to the exe- why not try those first?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: