logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using tables other than "pwdata"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cma_dev

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 19:02    Post subject: Using tables other than "pwdata" Reply with quote

From the error logs that I have been getting from ODBC, it seems that I cannot use any other table than "pwdata".

This poses a problem for me. I really would like to stick to database/SQL best practices and not have everything crammed into one single table called "pwdata".

I wanted to have separate tables using primary and foreign keys and then use SQLExecDirect() to link them to retrieve the needed value.

How do I allow for tables other than "pwdata"? It would just drive me nuts to be limited to only one table.

I'm using MS SQL Server and may even use Oracle.

Thanks for any help. Very Happy

PS - which is better for storing and retrieving data, SQLExecDirect() or the SET and GET persistent functions? Thanks!
JeroenB

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how much data you are retreiving. If you only need one function, you could easily call the Get and Set functions. In the otherhand, if you need multiple data from a table then its best to you create an SQL statement yourself to retreive it.

I would also recommend using MySQL as that one is directly supported by the plugin, plus it is free to download and fast enough for NWN. You can ofcourse use other tables. You only have to design and create them yourself with either a tool or an SQL statement(s). Then you can easily add , modify etc data in that table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: