logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux vs. Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cergorach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:28    Post subject: Linux vs. Windows Reply with quote

Hi there,

The reason: I'm building a new fileserver at home and it's starting to be more powerfull then a fileserver for four people should be (dual athlon 2400+). So it'll also act as a local groupware server, e-mail server, a test webserver, and as a nwn server (for testing and play four myself and four friends). So now i'll have to decide what OS to run on it, it's either Windows 2003 server or some linux variant. I can do everything i want on either platform, the only 'problematic' application is nwnx (and plugins).

The question: What's the current difference between nwnx for windows and linux, what can the one do and the other can't? When is it expected that both versions have the same functionality? What about plugins? Do you have any other relevant information to offer?

My appologies if the answers to my questions can be found in this forum or on the site, i can't find them...
JeroenB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there aren't much difference between the windows and linux platforms for nwnx. Though, if I am not mistaken the SCO doesn't work (yet) on linux. But the community is working on a port of the plugin.
Cergorach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks Jeroen!

If the difference isn't that big then i can always run VMware and create a windows virtual machine on the linux box...
No regret.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some utility plugins on Windows, which have not been converted to Linux: Profiler, Time, Resource Manager, and Functions.

Most servers should be able to run fine without those, so I see no reason why Linux would not work.
diavlen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started running a nwn server on Windows when the game first came out. Eventually, circumstances changed so that I had to switch operating systems to linux. At first, I was hesitant, but now I'm sold that it's the way to go.

One of my favorite features is the ability to tail the logfile. You can get a real sense of what's going on while you can't actually log in.

I did have some difficulty getting nwnx to work, but once those hurdles were passed, it's been smooth sailing.

*plink plink*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: