logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dynamic creation of areas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnyte

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 23:44    Post subject: Dynamic creation of areas? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, and I dont have the expertise required to pull it out of NWNX if it is posible, but here goes..

My idea is to have some standard 'Base Areas' to create instances off of. Lets say you have X DM's running X groups of PC's through the same quest, but you dont want the X parties interacting. And you want them to be able to run the quest similtaniously. From these 'Base Areas' dynamically create copies 'Base Area'1 , 'Base Area'2, ... 'Base Area'X and send the Party's into there own instance of the area. upon completion of the quest, or that phaze of, Destroy the instances that are no longer needed.

I know the DM client has the ability to Destroy areas.. Is there a counterpart internal function to copy or create a new area? And how feasable would it be to impliment it?

Creating multiple static copies of areas seems to cause quite a bit of server overhead, especially when no one is using the set of areas.
Acrodania

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Areas load when the module loads, so there is no way of dynamically creating areas properly while the server is running.

Primogenitor has worked on dynamically creating a module while the server is offline via Leto, chech their boards for more ideas....

You can create a large amount of areas and then use custom area transitions to determine which one to send the players too, empty areas without heartbeats use very little resources, it would actually lag the server more to create them on the fly. 150 or so random areas would make the entire world seem dynamically created as it would be difficult for players to remember all of them Smile
Primogenitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Im not sure if it is true that areas are loaded at module load or not. You can put areas in a hak pack but not in the area list in module.ifo and then players can still get to them. However, such areas dont show in the toolset.

If someone has time to investigate this topic, it could prove very productive.

As for the tools to use, NWNX-Letoscript and the NWNX-Resource Manager are probably the best candidates.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you set the Resource Manager to output all information in nwnx.ini it will show that areas are loaded at server start. I only know that the area needs to exist on server load, but maybe it is still possible to change the area data with the resman plugin after the server started... dunno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: