logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compatibility check

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 16:29    Post subject: Compatibility check Reply with quote

Some of the documentation on here seems a bit dated, so I thought I'd check here before downloading and adding to an existing PW.

WinXP
NWN 1.67
CEP 1.53

No other haks, but I am using some of the older HCR scripts.

I understand that NWNX is a program that runs outside of NWN but does connect. I'm afraid I have absolutely NO experience with databases, and the tutorial is dated as stated in the download section.

So, should I run into problems using it? Is it honestly worth it for me to download when I am not a good scripter and have no experience with databases? If you tell me yes, are you going to answer the million questions I'll no doubt be posting here? Wink

Even if I don't end up using this, thanks to the creators and updaters. This had to have taken a lot of work. It's not your fault if I'm too dense to understand it.
Acrodania

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNX requires you to add the scripting into the module to actually save anything; it is not automatic.

It also requires you to at least learn how a database works and perform some simple setups.

If you are not able/willing to script the system in and learn how to use the databases the only thing NWNX will give you is restart after crashes. If you ARE willing, the capabilities of the system and its plugins are incredible Smile
Raine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough and thanks for the reply. Is there good documentation to help out those who tend to rely on Lilac's Script Generator (an excellent tool btw)?

Just getting server restarts means its worth downloading to me. Also, how taxing is running it on your CPU? I've got 1.5 megs of DDR and a new hd, but my processor is only a 1.8 P4, so CPU usage is a prime concern. I've done many things to lower lag (keeping placeables off of grid lines, cleanup script, etc.) and I don't want to add any reason for the server to slow down.
Acrodania

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNX itself has almost no impact on the CPU. With the 1.3 P3 we were running before it showed as 0% CPU used under all situations Smile

Documentation is a weak point but there is a link to a new document pages somewhere here....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: