logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNx Profiler question/help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GehennanArchmage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 17:29    Post subject: NWNx Profiler question/help? Reply with quote

Hello, I have been attempting to run a downloaded PW module off NWVault and after roughly 36 hours I was experiencing reboots. So after numerous posts on the NWN forum I installed NWNX and profiler add-in, and ran the it over night. I have a question about the output and cannot find want this means: $glacialmine 2068058 msec 27555599 calls *|

Specifically, the $ infront of the glacialmines. There is an area that is called the Glacial Mines, but the documentation that I have seen thus far just states,

(this is from the official "Prelude" module, running one minute).
The first column is the scriptname, e.g. "m1q0bstud_2". If the first character is a '>' sign, a function within the script was called with an ExecuteScript call (e.g. ExecuteScript(1.0f, MyFunction()))
The second column contains the amount of time this script has used up (accumulated).
The third column contains the number of times this script has been called.
The footer contains some overall information about the scripts.

I understand that the >, but the $ I cannot find anything on. Can someone help? Does anyone else think that 27M calls is a lot?

Thanks,
GehennnanArchmage
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
* RunScript hooked (symbol: >)
* Cross area pathfinding hooked (symbol: @)
* Tile pathfinding hooked (symbol: $)

"$" prefix means tile pathfinding.
GehennanArchmage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 20:47    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, but want does that mean exactly? Is it the number of times some code looks for that Tile? Is there another source of documentation that I am not seeing here? I am confused, sorry.
GehennanArchmage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 0:24    Post subject: More questions Reply with quote

OK, I just found in the docs where the info on the symbols was. My next question is why? I have this area and last evening added scripts that would ONLY spawn the NPCs upon entering that tile and remove those NPCs after they left. If no one has enetered the area to spawn these NPCs then how can the above line with 27 million calls be happening? There are just the 2 tile specific scripts for On Enter and On Exit, and cannot see how this is happening. Anyone with ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Brad
darwinscusp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I'd suggest is remove your onenter script for that area, then login, enter that area, and validate no NPCs are being spawned.

Report your findings, then we can go from there.
GehennanArchmage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:43    Post subject: OnEnter Removed Reply with quote

I just got home and removed the OnEnter script and loaded the mod by pressing F9. I entered the area and the 5 NPCs were not spawned. This is the only area like this one, and by right clicking on the Tile and the Tag for thisd tile is: GlacialMines. This is exactly as the output except for the capital letters, but should not matter? The area just outside this area has NO monsters or NPCs and ONLY has 4 triggers that spawn monters on enter. So why would the scripts inside still fire?
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a possibility...Do you have any waypoints in the area?
In particular any that are coded as 'path' or 'post' waypoints.
If NPC's(or critters) are 'searching' for waypoints, they might be trying to 'pathfind' how to get there. (or just to work out proximity - ie GetNextWayPoint())

Cheers
Gryphyn
GehennanArchmage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:05    Post subject: Waypoints Reply with quote

Yes there are waypoints, actually there are 5 of them 1 each for each miner that is spawned in. I thought that waypoints were for specific monsters or npcs? I will remove them and run the profiler again overnight and see if this makes any difference.

Thanks,
Brad
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49    Post subject: Re: Waypoints Reply with quote

GehennanArchmage wrote:
Yes there are waypoints, actually there are 5 of them 1 each for each miner that is spawned in. I thought that waypoints were for specific monsters or npcs? I will remove them and run the profiler again overnight and see if this makes any difference.

Thanks,
Brad

No, you'll need them to spawn in the NPC's.
unless you want to test without the NPC's spawning?

--Waypoints can be 'Named' (TAGged) for specific purposes.
They are a 'special' object class - the TAG being one bit of the data.
If you are doing a search on waypoints (eg for the closest) TAG's are ignored for the search, your code can then read the TAG for each one.

Cheers
Gryphyn
GehennanArchmage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 17:05    Post subject: Working? Reply with quote

Hello,

Well, after my post last night, I got up in the middle of the night and fired up the toolset and looked at the original mod and the mod that I modified. Here is the breakdown:

Original: This small area had static; 5 NPCs-miners, 5 waypoints and 5 placeables-a pile of rocks. The miners attacked the rocks to simulate mining. The waypoints were named like the miners, I assume, Waypoint #1 was named GLAC_MINER01, yet when you selected upon the static miner these waypoints DID NOT connect. You know were the white line connects the NPC and waypoint.
So this was or is the state of the original mod.

Me adding spawns; I now removed the static npcs, added the spawn waypoints and added the OnEnter and Exit scripts. I left the original non-linked waypoints!!

When I said that there was 5 waypoints last night I was not counting the 5 original waypoints, thinking ONLY of the 5 spawning waypoints that I had added. I removed the original waypoints, and ran profiler and the 27 million calls are now gone. The game is also using 180Megs less ofRAM than before, as well.

All I can say is WOW! I cannot believe that 5 lone waypoints would cause that much hap-hazzard trouble.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GLAC_MINER01" was your problem... (my guess it was actually "GLAC_MINER_01" - the walkwaypoints format)

This is the naming for NPC that walk a circuit. _01 -> _02 -> _03 etc.
If you want your NPC's to basically stand still use the format NPCTAG_POST. (or NPCTAG_NIGHT)
This tells the script to stop looking for other waypoints.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: