logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NWN2/NWNX4] Location-Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ar-Zimrathon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:45    Post subject: [NWN2/NWNX4] Location-Question Reply with quote

Hey folks!

I'm working for a German PW (so you can expect some very poor constructed English sentences;D) and that is why I wanted to try NWNX.

While I had only little problems with the installation, I can't figure out how to use the SetPersistentLocation-function. Or better: Why it doesn't work.
It is no problem to save integers like player's HP, but the location...I tried to save it in the heartbeat-process, with local locations on client exits, when using a placeable...nothing worked. There were DB-entries like "Location" (varname) with a blank value-field and "Location" as a value (= varname).

I got only a little hint while trying to validate the area: it seems that GetIsObjectValid(GetArea(oPlayer)) brings only False. First I thought it was a missing areatag (didn't know that they aren't created by NWN2), but entering one didn't solve my problem.

I read through a lot of forums, English and German, but couldn't find only a tiny bit of help, so I hope you know something about this strange GetLocation-behaviour.

Thank you,
Ar-Zimrathon

P.S. I don't post my script, it just consists of GetLocation and SetPersistentLocation.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I did not try the location functions - I assumed they work. That's what you get for concentrating on NWNX alone, and not working for a PW this time (well, until now Smile).

Can anybody comment on those functions ? Do they work ?
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is most likely the issue of buffer overrun....
the returned value is truncated - and therefore invalid.

The current NWNX4 doesn't allow enough space for #AREA#....#END# encoding of the location. My quick fix was to use #A#, #X#, #Y#, #Z#, #O# #E# instead of the full text - saves 40+ characters.

Alternately extend the buffer from 128 to 256...

Cheers
Gryphyn
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok... I'll need to make this change in the official include file. Makes no sense to store that many unecessary characters anyway.
Ar-Zimrathon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puh, never thought of THAT! Many thanks, its working fine now!Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Scripts and Modules All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: