logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help setting up multiple servers using one database

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boggled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 17:53    Post subject: Help setting up multiple servers using one database Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I am running an NWN2 pw, using the fabulous NWNX v 1.06 with mysql database v 4.1 and the mysql db is remote. I would like to maybe make another server, I have a spare server pc, and run my same mod or perhaps a different mod if size becomes an issue down the road. So, I set up the pc, and it is using the same database as the first server, everything going good, except if a player makes a character on the first server, he can't log in that character on the second server, it seems that the characters are bound to whichever server they are created on. I am kind of a noob when it comes to multiple servers (and I am no great scripter either), and any advice or help anyone could give would be great!

Thank you in advance,

Boggled
Youx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boggled.
I am working on a port of the vaultster plugin (nwnx2) to nwnx4.
It allows a module to "send" character files to another server Smile.
Actually, the plugin compiles, and it seemed to work when I tried.
I haven't put the files on the website yet, and I haven't done any heavy testing either , but I'll probably release it soon Smile
Boggled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Not sure if I need Vaultster, I am already storing and retrieving data from both servers into my one database, and everything works fine, excepting that it is almost as if each server is flagging the data it stores as to be only used specifically for that server. I went through the data fields and there is no field that indicates a specific server. I keep getting the feeling I am overlooking something obvious....

Any more input would be appreciated immensely,

-Boggled
Boggled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that vaultster porting system you are working on would be great for running two different mods, one on each server, however!

-Boggled
Youx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what do you want to do...
Have two different "physical" servers, each running a mod? Or two nwn2server running on the same pc?
Boggled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same mod, running on two different servers on two different pc's, just want people to be able to log a character on either server.

Thanks for replying!

-Boggled
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need Vaultster if you want to share vaults over a LAN - Linux uses symlinks to do this without issue, and I know Windows has similar functionality though I forget what it's called.
Funky
Boggled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am running Windows, and the two pc's are on the same LAN, got the game ports set differently, I can use my mysql db gui and see the character data in the db, coming in fine from each pc, my mysql database is hosted on a remote webserver but works fine, just the data stored in the db seems to be only accessible from whichever server it was loaded from. I am not running the db connection as a windows service. I have port 3306 opened on my local router for both pc's to access the mysql remote database, and I am connecting fine and storing data fine. I really appreciate you guys responding, I am at a loss on this!

-Boggled
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I'm boggled. Razz I understood from your first post that the issue was with your bics, but it sounds like it's the database that's causing you trouble. Posting the scripts that are inputting and trying to read the data would help.
Funky
Boggled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I am not at my hosting computers at the moment, I will post the scripts when I get home. I am using Rowell's PW Kit for scripts, if that makes a difference? Mostly unmodified.

Thank you very much for the help,

-Boggled
xaltos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Boggled

I am not quite sure if I understand your problem exactly.

But I got the impression that you don't transfer the character files from one PC to the next one.

So here some background info:

If a player creates a character on Server A and want to use it on server B as well , must you copy the *.bic files
( nwn/Servervault/[gamespy-id]/[character-file].bic )
to the other server or both server must share the same working directory.

That is task for the vaultster plugin, that was already mentioned in this thread.
This will give the user the option to login into both server and select his character.

The next part of the problem is , that you want to access the stored DB Data inside of the database for this character. But if you use the same Database and the same Schema , should that work without problems.

I hope this brings some light into the dark. ( and I am sorry if missed the problem and you knew this all Very Happy )

NWN2_Audolo
Boggled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! So, Vaultster it is! I guess I didn't understand the mechanics completely, thank you everyone for shedding light on this, I will report back and let you know how it goes!

-Boggled
Boggled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I did some research on Vaultster, and it seems the configuration documents are all pre NWN2 and NWNX4, does anyone know if there is documentation on settings and installation for running NWN2 and NWNX4, or perhaps someone who is already running vaultster with these could post examples?

I am thinking maybe I will make up 'start to finish' documentation on the entire process to help other noobs when I am done, if people would like.

My thanks to all who have already helped me and those who might in the future,

-Boggled
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

As xaltos already mentioned, you have to share the .bic files between both servers.

Vaultster is very good for that when the servers are physically separate, but if they are on the same LAN, just create a normal Windows share on one of the servers and set the NWN2 installation on the other server to point to that share.

It's a lot easier this way.
Boggled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, all.

Decided might as well put all my pc's on same LAN and try sharing the servervault folder between them, as per Papillon's and Xaltos's suggestion, however, it doesn't work. I tried just loading a plain old no script mod just to see if it was something in my module, but still wouldn't work. Tried sharing both servervault folders, one under 'my documents' and one in the nwn2 directory itself, still nothing. I can access the shared folders from other pc's outside of nwn, so I know there isn't a restriction or anything messing it up. Both pc's I am using have windows xp. It is almost as if my bic files are being saved someplace else, as I can make a character, log on one server, log off and back on that same server and the character is still there, however, logging on to another server and no character. Also, the server I log on to doesn't have a character file in either server vault folder. Perhaps the bic file is being stored somewhere else? Sorry to be such a noob, and I thank you, again, for any more help you can offer.

-Boggled
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: