logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"downloads" section of this site needs some luvin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris421

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:17    Post subject: "downloads" section of this site needs some luvin Reply with quote

kind of surprised to find links to a new version of chat, a leto conversion to NWNX4, and a major beta release of NWNX4 itself buried amongst threads in various forums here.

i don't know how awful the upload process is for posting new files to your "downloads" area. but if you really want your newest stuff tested, maybe consider creating a sourceforge repository (linking "downloads" to it).

god knows sourceforge has handled source for far lesser apps than this. would also protect you in the event of another harddrive crash.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the chat and leto plugins are contributions provided by others, and I have no direct control over those. I hope the contributors maintain their plugins in their own download section, but it's really up to them.

The beta of 1.08 is not among the official downloads, because I wanted to get some feedback from the most active nwnx users first. It's a radical change under the hood and I see no reason to make it available to potentially inexperienced users right now.

Updating the file section is really easy with Typo3, which is the CMS used on nwnx.org.
virusman

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CMS itself is good, but it's not adapted to managing downloads so I rarely update my contributions page. Maybe a file archive mod (like this) can make it easier.

I already have a warning on my page that suggests users to go to this forum for the latest versions of my plugins.

//Btw, I can't create a new page or edit existing page's properties.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need longer than 5 minutes to update a plugin, I'll consider something else. But if not, I wonder if it's worth the hassle...

I'd have to look into what it takes for you to be able to create subpages, but I can do that if the need is there, of course.
Elrahc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about setting up a wiki for instructions and tutorials, etc.? It could allow anyone to edit, but not without approval from the admin(s). I guess I hoped it would work well since developers may be busy actually developing, and users could do the documentation for the common man - but it'd still allow the developers to control it before it goes official.

Just a thought Smile

~Elrahc
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not expect many contributions to the documentation (sigh), so while a Wiki is a good idea, it might be overkill.

FYI, there was a Wiki once, and although it was mentioned at a couple of places here on the website and in the forum, it did not receive much attention.
Sharwin_F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wiki would be a great place for documentation translations
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chris421

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, 15 months after the original request & "divining" the latest stable binaries from this website is still a nightmare.

Most people aren't going to have the patience to dig through dev forums & guess what they should be running.

And for the non-VS developers, compiling what they do find will typically be impossible.

Also noticed the interview with Maximus (of IGN) I'd tried to set up to promote NWNX4 last year, never materialized.

To put it bluntly, get organized or shutdown the project.

If you guys don't have time for this anymore, compile what you have, post that and the source to IGN, and maybe somebody else will pick it up.

Apologies in advance.

Last edited by chris421 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 21:07; edited 1 time in total
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hint - you have to pull the cloth off the crystal ball before you use it. Razz I'm pretty much a computer idiot, and I can find them without issue. Peep the stickies in the dev forums:

Lin:
http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1068
http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1038

Win:
http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1142
http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1141

There's also the 3 new plugins released by Acaos, but they're posted prominently in Lin development at the moment. The only plugin that doesn't cover, I think, is the Hashset, which vman forgot to list.

Funky
Disco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a point, though. Why not remove the list from teh old download page and simply put a link to the relevant threads there?
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaultster is also missing. That being said, development is still quite active, and current binaries are released all the time, in pretty conspicuous places. Just because the downloads page is out of date is no reason to call the project inactive.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
virusman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an access to NWNX2 download page a month ago - you can already see a couple of new entries in the Linux section, but it was just a few days before my vacation, so it was not finished. I'll continue this when I return.
I don't have access to NWNX4 page, though.
NWNX isn't as user-friendly as it could be and things are improving slowly, but this is not a reason to make such statements.
Disco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
Vaultster is also missing. That being said, development is still quite active, and current binaries are released all the time, in pretty conspicuous places. Just because the downloads page is out of date is no reason to call the project inactive.

Well, I can't figure out where to find those new Vaultster versions...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: