logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Profiler question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 0:05    Post subject: Profiler question Reply with quote

I have been using and running NWNX for a few years now. Recently, we just moved our NWN PW to a new dual-core AMD server.

The first time we fired it up on the box, we had some weird things happen(AT's not working, NPC conversations not fire, no spawns ,etc).

Since that time, occasionally we get periods where it almost seems like the box is running to fast(spells animations off, creatures flying across the screen, and some DB issues).

Now to the question, when I looked at the profiler log I saw a bunch of negative script call times....for example:

nw_c2_default9............-40msec..............34523 calls

Has anyone ever seen this before? As I said, I've been using NWNX for years and have never seen it. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for configuration for a dual-core machine?

Thanks.
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what happens when the ms int wraps because the number is too big to fit in the int field. IIRC it's limited to the same number as the Bioware int field, around 2.1 billion. Unless your mod has been up a long time, that's a sign that you need to streamline that script.
Funky
william_hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, NWN is single threaded, and there have been some reports of similar problems on the bio forums. There is a CPU affinity setting in the nwplayer.ini that you can use to bind the game to one core.

Here is a link

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=445423&forum=49&sp=0
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no link for you right now, but I think there was a problem with dual core CPUs at some point in time, where threads would switch from one core to another (scheduled by the uh.. scheduler) and the internal CPU timer was not synchronized between the cores. So, the time would jump back and forth and weird things would happen. Fixing to one core would help in this case.

Also, I would disable all PowerNow! and other power saving options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Scripts and Modules All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: