logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Athlon 64 Crashing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagnumMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:51    Post subject: Athlon 64 Crashing? Reply with quote

Is NWNX 2.61 and the madCHook stable on Athlon 64? I understand this is an odd question but we split a server in half and took half the player base with us. The old server was a 2.4Ghz Xeon system that could handle about 44 concurrent users before lagging. We built an Athlon 64 3000+ (0.09 version, not 0.13) system on Windows 2003 (and later reverted to Windows 2000 to attempt to isolate crashing) and we have not had a single day without at least 4 crashes, some days have 12 or more... and this is on almost the same module (we ran a test with the old module to see).

At this point I find it is not the OS, it is not the module, so it is either the hardware, nwserver, or NWNX and the hook library. I have stress tested the hardware well enough with memtest and Prime95 to believe it is not the hardware. That leaves nwserver or nwnx, so I had to ask... thanks.

P.S. madCHook has been updated; when are you going to rebuild NWNX?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MagnumMan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally fixed our crashing problems but it took forever. I made 2 changes at the same time.

1. I downloaded madCHook.dll 2.1.7.0 from madshi and dropped it in place of 2.1.5.0 which comes with NWNX 2.61; the headers were binary compatible.

2. We had an OnDeath script for creatures (addition to Jasperre's AI, custom corpses) that would iterate all the equipped items on a creature including the creature claws, etc and destroy them. We were destroying them because it was reported a while ago this is a memory leak in nwserver. I changed this to SetDroppableFlag(FALSE).

Crashes are gone. Just gone. But memory usage is up, so maybe there is still a memory leak here. Bioware? :>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Athlon 64 myself and did not experience any strange behaviour on it (but then again, I am not running a heavily loaded server on it). I will update the mad code hook lib to the current version in the next release, but I am not sure that was what was causing your crashes.
weldieran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, for future reference of anyone looking at this thread, I also run an AMD64 4000+, Linux64bit

I've no problem with crashes on a heavy traffic server. (nwnx compiled to 32bit)

And I thought bioware plugged that memory leak so taht we don't have to destroy all items before the dead creature is destroyed. Could be wrong tho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: